24/06/2009

DON'T WEAR RINGS AT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK this is not a nice one but has to be done. To all who said it would never happen to them, i said that for along time until the Saturday i got to Spain. I parked up, did my papers etc etc etc. Had the truck running as it was 37c (about 96f), got out to go for a cold one but had a air leak between the truck and trl, it was one of the air pipes, so up i went and sorted it out, I then lost my footing, grabbed the nearest thing with my hand, slipped, then my ring got caught.



I was lucky as i grabbed with my left hand as well but the damage was already done on my right hand. I then went into the bar for some ice just to stop it swelling up more. The girl behind the bar saw it and said to come round the bar to wash it out and then she poured neat gin on it, i knew then there was a big problem as it did not hurt at all.



There was an English guy in there who spoke Spainsh; RAM was his name, he told me later on. So into a taxi we went to the A and E dept, but in this town it's just a small room so they sent me to one about 30kh away and RAM came with me. Just met the guy and he stayed with me all night till we got back at 3am. Now thats what you call the old way of driving in europe, the unspoken friendship of europian truck drivers. The doc said i was lucky i did not pull my finger off or pull the skin completely off like a condom. But then there was more problems as the ring was a steel one they had a big problem trying to cut it off, it took them about 4hrs to get it off, will not give you all the gory details on it. Had 4 stitches in it and had to go back on the Monday morning for a check up.




It was the first time ever i had to go to a hospital in europe and they where very good and professional. They got someone who spoke English as well, so that made me feel a little more at ease.













Had the stitches out and part of it opened up again.

Anyway on the Sunday morning around 10am the day after the accident, and only about 6 hrs sleep, RAM had said he would come to the pharmacywith me as they closed at midday and it was quite a walk from where we were parked, anyway got their and got the pills. We were away from the trucks till about 7pm that night. We walked, talked, seen this place, seen that place; he had the beer and me coffee or coke, looked in a lot of shops as well. I paid for dinner just to say thanks. Went back to the hospital again Monday morning just to check the nerves and for infection, they said they were happy with it so was told to get it checked out when back in the uk..




Well had a job to do............. so after leaving the hospital drove back to where i left the trl then on down to Barcalona; my truck is left hand drive and its fully automatic (good thing really). Did the drop off but it was a shit trying to back up with only one hand, well did it and then sat waiting for a reload. Boss called about 2hrs after and told me to head towards LERIDA, as there was a pick up in that area for the UK. So off i toddled towards Lerida, got the address of the place on route and after a 3hr drive i arrived around 19.00hrs, the loading time wasn't until 23.00hrs that night so waited, got it loaded then went to bed. Left there heading for Zaragoza, Pamplona then up to the border town IRUN thats on the west side of Spain, went up through the border into France to Bordeaux then Tours got here and called it a night so food and bed (see, no beer Caz). Wednesday morning up and on my way by 5am. The route today was Le Mans /Rouen/Abbevill to get to the Euroshuttle, no problem there, straight through customs and onto the train. Was parked up at Ashford truck stop by 5pm in the UK.



Thursday up to London for the delivery by 730 am and then back to Caz's as got a doc's appointment in the afternoon. So there it is till the next post ..
Keep it sunny side up till then.








2 comments:

  1. Hi Cath and mick thank you. its getting back to normal but dont till caz as she will get me doning the washing up hehehe it will be a bit yet still only got a bit off feeling in it .thank agine .

    ReplyDelete